GDG- Soldiers changing sides

dherko at kc.rr.com dherko at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 31 15:58:14 CST 2012

I have gathered a bit of data on the subject.

I started with the 1860 census data and some records from some different sites

Side eligeble population 1860 to 1865 (18 years old to 46 years old)

Union   4,503,746

CSA     1,239,267

Border   574,722

It gets tougher after that.  So far I think that:

2,318,913 served the Union from Union States (plus another 100,000 African American Soldiers)

86,144 served the Union from Confederate States (includes a large contingent from what became West Virgina 32,005 and Tennessee 31,092)

190,744 served from Border States (Kentuky, Maryland and Missouri) Deleware is technically a border state, but it rivaled any other Union state for % of men in uniform

I took the original data from 1860 and programmed in changes based on men entering the pool (18-46) men aging out, immigrants entering, natural deaths.  My data is incomplete, and Confederate data is harder to obtain and verify, I think the cross over numbers is more like 100,000 to the Union from Southern States and 20,000 to the South from Northern States.

VR Don