GDG- Harry Heth and the First Morning at Gettysburg

dherko at kc.rr.com dherko at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 31 13:27:49 CST 2012

I was one of the posters to talk about Davis taking troops from Lee for Vicksburg.

The strategic situation with respect to Hooker and the AoP, did not force Lee to make the decision to go North.  In fact, after Hooker's jaunt into the Wilderness, he had no stomach for Lee.  On top of that, Hooker lost many regiments that were only 24 month enlistees.

Lee could have waited and tested his new Corps Commanders in a more limited engagement and not try the most agressive operation in his career.

Hill and Ewell proved unworthy in continued operations in 1863 and 1864.  A more limited operation might have clued Lee into that possibility and he could have turned again to Stuart.  I am in no way a big fan of Stuart, but he was a potential Corps Commander.  Then Wade Hampton and Fitz Lee are Division Commanders and Lee is directing:

Longstreet with four Divisions (Hood, McLaws, Pickett, Anderson)
Stuart with four Divisions (Hill, Early, Rodes, Ewell)
Hampton Cav Dvn
Lee Cav Dvn
Pemberton with Arty Reserve
Of Course I would have made Trimble my Chief of Staff

that is just my two cents

VR Don Herko

This is a potentially a winning team against Hooker in a late Summer Early Fall Campaign near the Fredricksburg Area.