GDG- 1841 Springfield rifle - JIM CAMERON

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Tue Jan 31 10:11:18 CST 2012

I've heard a lot about it.

Galvanized Yanks.  Galvanized Rebs.

I can't verify them with sources now but I have read stories  of draftees
from southern Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois who Went  South after  being forced
into the Union army.

Many of the people in those 3 states were very anit-abolition  and doing
anything to help slaves.  Very racists areas.

I think in one of Catton's books soldiers from those areas of  those states
were so opposed to the release of of the Emancipation Proclamation  that
there were grumblings of a mutiny.  (Or was it Foote?)

Other Conf POWs were offered the chance to go fight Indians  out west in
the Union army.  I seem to recall stories of some Northern POW  camps offering
a chance to fight in the Souix War in Minnesota with old Johnny  Pope.

Actually it would be interesting to get some specific  stories.

A friend of mine tried to trace down an ancestor.   Apparently he was from
Tennessee and abruptly around '63-'64 he moved to Penn.  and volunteered for
the Union army.

There would be a question of why he had not gotten drafted by  the Canf
Army by then but the only answer I can come up with is that he was  apparently
underaged for the Southern draft until then.  Then upon  reaching draft age
he decided to go north and join the Yankees.

It was a very messy war.

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
Peter

In a message dated 1/31/2012 10:56:29 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,