GDG- Supoplying the armies

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Mon Jan 30 12:30:36 CST 2012

Are you talking about the switching engine in Old Town for the  tunnel?

The engines during the CW period are pretty amazing.  I  don't remember if
the B&O museum in Balt has a camelback or grass  hopper.  I need to go back.

Off topic a bit have you ever seen the copy of the Winans  steam gun that
sits along Rt 1 in Elk Ridge Landing?  Drove past it for  years without
knowing what it was.

Then I found out that there was only one and it was designed  by that
genius Ross Winans of the B&O.  Too bad he was a  Reb.  Story goes that Ben
Butler captured it when he entered Balt in in  61.  Winans or somebody took the
brech block and it could not be  used.  Nor could anybody figure out how to
fix it or use it.

What happened to it is lost to history.

Story goes that it could fire a 12lb projectile 5  miles!

The one that sits on Rt 1 is a replica they built for the  1960s
Commemoration of the Civil War.  It sits out in the elements getting  ruined.  I don't
know why they don't put a shed over it or put it in the  B&O Mus.  There's
not even a sign there to tell you what it  is.

GDG-ers- If you wanna see something weird look up online the  Winans Steam
Gun.
Pretty damn weird looking.

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
Peter

In a message dated 1/30/2012 12:45:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,