GDG- Hall's Rifle works

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Mon Jan 30 12:04:45 CST 2012

Missing from conversation of rifles and Harpers Ferry is  Hall's Rifle
works.

Someone else may know better than me but at Harpers Ferry in a  collection
of islands in the Shenandoah on the Harpers Ferry side was Halls  Rifle
Works.  The large island was, I think, Virginius Island.

While the landscape is quite beautiful I think it is also  rather
melancholy.  The complex rivaled the H F gov't works in size and if  it was larger I
would not be surprised.

The ordinary visitor can't see it but there are all sorts of  extant water
wheel canals/channels visible.  Some heavy stone walls mostly  in the ground
but the whole bit of sketchy remains got on for 100s of  feet.

Maybe someone knows better than me but I am under the  impression that they
both subcontracted work from the gov. H F works and also  produced their
own weapons.

What records they may have done in musket-to-rifle conversions  may still
be around.

Any GDG-ers going to H F would be advised to buy the excellent  NPS HF
guidebook and go poke around the ruins.  It is pretty  impressive.

Many people don't know this but the Potomac rivershed is one  of the
largest sheds on the east coast. It is quite a phenomenon when it  floods.  Much
of Mall can get immersed and John Grim will tell you all  sorts of flood
stories in Alexandria.  They have a flood marker post by the  river notated up
to some 10 or 15 feet.

I guess the Shenandoah floods just completely washed away most  of the
heavy stone blocks making up the Halls works.  You can see some  scattered out
in the Shen and Pot Rs.  It is too bad it got so  destroyed.

If you are interested you ought to be able to find Hall's  Rifle Works
online.

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,