GDG- 1841 Springfield rifle????

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Mon Jan 30 11:19:24 CST 2012

Tom,

Don't mean to put a pin in the man's balloon but all my life  there has
been an odd phenomenon with "Civil War rifles.  As a kid in Ohio  several kids
would show their "Civil War rifles".

I've had adult friends do the same.  But I've never had  anyone tell me the
exact story of the gun.. Nor did they ever say that ancester  carried it at
Gettysburg, for example.

It seems like any old gun that people own is referred to as a  Civil War
gun.

I kinda think the things could be anything.  They  continued making
percussion rifles after the war.  And they make pretty  authentic looking
reproductions.

Further,  I am of the understanding that at the end of  the war the Yanks
turned in their rifles when leaving the army.  The Confs  were required, as
losers, to turn in their weapons as part of getting  paroled.

I am sure that some soldiers were able to get their rifle home  with them
but I can't see it being that common.

To add to this, it may be possible to produce limited  provenance for the
piece if a person wanted to do the dirty work of tracing the  Army records at
the national Archives.

The Army being the Army whenever possible they kept pretty  careful
records.  If you get the serial numbers and can locate  the records you ought to be
able to trace the disposition trail of the  weapon all the way down to
regimental level when the individual soldier received  his weapon. After that
anything could have happened?

Has your neighbor taken it to a collector or appraiser?   That might
produce some interesting stories.

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
Peter

In a message dated 1/30/2012 8:36:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,