GDG- Gettysburg Movie Question

Margaret D. Blough mdblough1 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 10:23:18 CST 2012

J.D.-

In fact, Britain remained officially neutral (not that it didn't push the envelope at times, as the US had done during the Napoleonic Wars) throughout the war).  I remember hearing Brian discuss this (I think it was during one of his "History Meets Hollywood" lectures).  He said the costume person had already purchased the red uniform jacket and, as you said, had fallen in love with it.  The bone Ron Maxwell threw Brian was Freemantle's garb during the campfire scene which was based on a description, IIRR, from someone on Longstreet's staff.  Freemantle shared the tent of  Maj. Raphael Moses who was most impressed with the fact that Freemantle never removed his boots during his whole two week stay with them, having gotten the boots  so wet that he was afraid that he couldn't get them off and, if he did, he couldn't get them back on. Moxley Sorrel was very impressed with Freemantle (and Sorrel didn't impress easily) but mentions during his description of Freemantle during the Battle of Gettysburg that he didn't think Freemantle changed his clothing or his boots during his whole stay (so much for a change into dress uniform).

I miss Brian more than I can articulate. I got to know him pretty well through the CompuServe CW Forum.

Regards,

Margaret