GDG- 1841 Springfield rifle????

Tom Ryan pennmardel at
Mon Jan 30 10:18:47 CST 2012


Further on this rifle.  The owner says it is a converted flint lock to cap
and ball and is a 1841 Springfield.  If I understand correctly, it was
converted at the Harper's Ferry armory.

If that makes sense, what would this weapon actually be called, and was it
commonly used during the CW?


-----Original Message-----
From: gettysburg-bounces at
[mailto:gettysburg-bounces at]On Behalf Of cameron2 at
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: GDG- 1841 Springfield rifle????

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:

I'd have to see a picture to know exactly what your neighbor has.
Springfield Armory never made Model 1841 rifles.  All production was by
weither Harpers Ferry, or various contractors.  There were numerous
alterations to the 1841 rifle, involving various combinations of upgraded
sights and adapting it to take a bayonet.  I'd have to check my references
to be sure, but I'm not sure that Springfield did any.  In any event, I've
never heard of an altered 1841 rifle being called a Springfield.  They're
still Model 1841, and if altered collectors generally refer to the specific

Are you sure it's an 1841 rifle?  There are some smoothbore muskets with
1841 dated lockplates.
 -to unsubscribe for Archives

More information about the Gettysburg mailing list