GDG- Gettysburg Movie Question

J David Petruzzi jdpetruzzi at live.com
Mon Jan 30 08:59:13 CST 2012

> I agree with JD...entirely likely.
>
> What was *not* likely was Freemantle wearing a "red coat" in the film!! The
> Coldstream Guards wore blue. [I think I recall hearing that "the movie
> makers" felt that his wearing blue would have confused the audience.]
>
> Bob Pielke

Actually, Freemantle would not have worn any military garb (and did not - while in America he wore civilian clothes).  To wear a uniform would have meant that the British sanctioned the Confederacy and were allied.  No agreement had yet been formalized, so while in this country (North or South) Freemantle wore nothing but civilian clothes.

Brian Pohanka made that point during filming, and tried to get the producers to not have Freemantle in uniform - but having him in uniform looked "pretty" on screen and Brian's expert opinion was trumped.

J.D.