GDG- Harry Heth and the First Morning at Gettysburg

Tom bunco973 at optonline.net
Sun Jan 29 22:39:22 CST 2012

   With the advantage of hindsight - every time I read a book on the first
day - I almost cringe when I read that quote. Harrison (The Spy) spoke - and
the ANV became totally animated (with good cause, I agree), but supposedly
Pettigrew & Young were looked at practically derisively. My take - if you
disbelieve them (CSA officers no less) - at least proceed with some degree
of caution, just in case they're correct. I wonder if Hill , at the time,
advised Lee of this sighting (seems to me important enough info - right or
wrong) and if so, what was Marse Robert's reaction. After receiving
Harrison's information on the 28th/29th of June (pick your historian) - why
wouldn't this info be any less important to Lee. Hill's call - and IMHO - he
dropped the ball.

Regards,
Tom B. (who is a big fan of the man in the red shirt - up until Gettysburg)