GDG- Harry Heth and the First Morning at Gettysburg

Tom Ryan pennmardel at mchsi.com
Sun Jan 29 18:53:15 CST 2012

<<I'd suspect that given the fact Heth had not just his own division, put
Pender's behind him and a good deal of artillery, that there wasn't much
concern about his being able to handle any outriding cavalry he might
encounter.  As indeed he would have.  Infantry was of course a different
matter, but even there, after having suffered a reverse, Heth was under no
immediate threat and, as I've said, reacted appropriately in awaiting
further orders before renewing the action.>>

Given that, it is instructive to read the author's conclusion which comes
down pretty hard on Heth:

"General Heth's lifelong guilty burden was, as at a minimum, about the wrong
thing.  He would have done better to regret the wasting of two brigades in
an ill-conceived, hasty attack based on false beliefs, the drive to be
approved by his superiors, and his impulsive nature."

This conclusion takes into account Heth's military performance prior to
Gettysburg.

Tom Ryan