GDG- Gettysburg battlefield to install 'smart' parking - WTOP Mobile

Dennis Lawrence denlaw at gojade.org
Sun Jan 29 11:22:05 CST 2012

>Dennis-It wasn't a good spot to go to downtown
>businesses from when the VC and Cyclo Center
>were there. Why would that change now?  The
>report that the ACHS did in the 1970s made it
>clear that the development of Steinwehr drew
>business from and even destroyed businesses in
>the downtown area even before the NPS moved there.

I appreciate the meticulousness of your research;
however, the downtown merchants vigorously would
dispute this and fought to not have the VC moved
because they  said it would destroy
businesses.  I'm sure they have reports to match yours.

But forget the studies, those lots could be
important to the merchants.  Why not provide a
tram that picks  up visitors  at the  old visitor
center parking lot, takes them to the new visitor
center, and also goes to stop downtown to drop them off?

   Why should the outlet mall get these free
customers  plopped on their lots while these same
possible customers are virtually  excluded by the
nature of the setup from going
downtown  Gettysburg?  It seems some plan could
be set up to use these lots to help the
merchants  and provide easy access to the visitor center.

>Parking is being given a great deal of
>consideration but the fact remains that the
>battlefield is why the people, and their cars,
>are there in the first place.  If you include
>the new VC parking lots, there's a lot more
>spaces now than there ever was.  That are
>multiple access points to that part of the
>battlefield with parking along the sides.

Again, the existing plans are based on the
insistence that  we must get rid of those parking
lots on the Taneytown Road rather than use them
to enhance the experience and access.  The
parking along the roads on  East Cemetery
Hill  and the national cemetery is very dangerous.

>  I can't walk very far any more so parking's
> important to me, but the rehabilitation of one
> of the most critical sections of the Union
> battle line is far more important. I want to
> see the markers restored that were moved to
> make room for the Cyclo parking lot.

I am all for rehabilitation, but  I'm not sure we
will all gain that much from this by removing
these  parking lots.  We already know they are
going to leave some of the parking there, so
there is no pristine ground.  Leaving those lots
and  providing trams to the visitor center in
downtown will be win-win for everyone.

There have to be decisions made, and I think we
are erring on insisting on  removing these
parking lots at the expense of visitors being
denied easy access to this portion of the park and downtown.

Take Care

Dennis

When you're in the 'Burg  And at the new VC
You can never  go downtown
When you've got money  you're at the outlet Mall
not, downtown
Just picture in your mind a tram to Steinweher
Linger on the sidewalk where the  SCV and SUV's  gather
How can you lose?
Downtown