GDG- Gettysburg battlefield to install 'smart' parking - WTOP Mobile

Margaret D. Blough mdblough1 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 22:43:06 CST 2012

Dennis-The old VC & Cyclo Center parking lots were never that large to begin with. Once Spring interpretative season began, parking was hopeless if you didn't get there VERY early or near closing. I couldn't get into the old VC lot until I had a HP placard. The rest of the lot was limited to buses and RVs. It was iffy at best to get a spot in the Cyclo lot during that part of the year. I generally skipped going to the VC or I parked across the street or, during muster, stayed at the Quality Inn. If you found a spot in either lot, you didn't move your car since, if once you did, someone would be in it if before the parking lot was out of your rear view mirror.

We take for granted what the Gettysburg battlefield looks like now but what we see is the result of hard-fought struggles to reclaim the battlefield from development. At what point should we stop at paving over the battlefield in the name of convenience? What is so awful about a shuttle system anyhow. A shuttle system has been used for years in Harpers Ferry since that historic town simply can't handle any significant number of cars. I've seen the sign system of what lots are full and what are open combined with shuttles used at the Farm Show in Harrisburg.

As it is, no one is stopping someone from driving through the battlefield and stopping at various points. I haven't seen that come up as a serious issue. If anything there was more interest in a shuttle stopping in the battlefield so one could walk from Point A to Point B and not worry about getting back to a car parked at Point A. The issue throughout has primarily been parking at the VC, and getting people to visit the part of the battlefield outside of GNMP limits. Unless someone is a formidable enough hiker that parking in the satellite lots won't be a problem, even if you park on the old VC & Cyclo Center parking lots, your question of how people will get around won't change. Yes, those two locations help if your objective is the High Water Mark but it does squat for almost all of the first day's battlefield and much of the remaining two days as well.