GDG- Supoplying the armies

John Grim jgrim1941 at gmail.com

When I first moved to Alexandria around 1976 I lived on Wilkes anduse to
walk thru that tunnel almost every day when going to work at Chadwick's on
the waterfront.  My understanding is that they used smaller engines to go
from the wharves thru the tunnel.  They probably connected to the other
railroads near where the Masonic Temple is.   When I owned a house on
Walnut St (west end) it was very near the area where many railroad workers
lived that loaded and unloaded goods from western virginia and there were
still two families on Walnut that were engineers on the 0range & Alexandria
routes and whose fathers had also been engineers on those routes.