GDG- FW: 75th Reunion in Gettysburg in 1938

Tom Ryan pennmardel at mchsi.com
Sat Jan 28 07:43:47 CST 2012

Thanks to everyone who responded.  Since I did not receive the replies
before my meeting, I will follow up with your suggestions during our next
get together.

Wanted to share with you my neighbor's great grandfather's discharge papers.
After examining them, it appears that this is a fanciful reproduction of the
dischage as a keepsake.  It is elaborately decorated in color illustrations
of CW scenes.  Apparently, from the notation at the bottom, Private Gray had
this rendition of the discharge papers made esspecially as a gift for his
family.

Appreciate any comments you may have about them.  This was written in a
fancy script, so was a little difficult to transcribe.  John C. might be
John E.  At least that is what his great grandson believes.  Hard to tell
from the script.

This is somewhat OT, but indirectly relates to 75th Reunion topic.  I will
post more about the Reunion as I go over my notes.

Here is the wording of the discharge:

This is to certify

that

John C. Gray

Enlisted August 23rd 1864 from Chester County, Pa. and was mustered into the
United States service at West Chester, Pa. to serve one year as a private in
Capt. S.S. Richardson’s Battery E, 1st Regt Pennsylvania Vol. Artillery.

The Battery formed part of the 5th Corps, Army of the Potomac and Comrade
Gray shared the fortunes of the Battery in all its movements and engagements
during the operations around Petersburg through the Siege and Fall of the
City Ap 2, 65.  Participated in the pursuit of Lee along the South Side
Railroad to Appomattox.  Also engaged in garrison duty.  The Battery held a
high reputation for its efficiency and was commended for distinguished
service.  Comrade Gray was Honorably Discharged June 21, 1865 at Harper’s
Ferry [West] Va. By reason of close of war.

Member of the W.S. Thompson Post, No. 132 G.A.R., Oxford, Pa.

Presented by Comrade Gray to his wife Ida and children Hattie L., John E.,
Clarence S., Allie, and Marjorie, Aug. 16, 1901.