GDG- Lee - Harrisburg

Tom bunco973 at optonline.net
Fri Jan 27 14:54:02 CST 2012

Sometimes I
wonder whether Lee headed
North, besides the tried and true reasons, to stave off the chance of losing
some of his command to the West (Vicksburg especially). Commanders don't
like to lose troops to another command, maybe an ego thing ;-D. Not saying
Lee's best interests for the Confederacy were not in his heart, but the
acceleration of his movements after meeting with Davis was  (to me) a bit
suspect. <<<<<<

I had posted the above last week - thought I was one of the few that felt
this way. Just a theory - but it's almost like "See ya Mr. Davis - we're
leaving now - I'll be in touch". A few weeks later, Lee advises that he has
to cut off communications back to Richmond due partially to manpower
shortages. As an aside - back to Harrisburg - there has to be some strong
reasons that initially Lee is looking at Harrisburg - Ewell at Carlisle -
Early/Gordon at Wrightsville - another words, a full Corps north & south of
Harrisburg (whether to entice the AOP, raid the city, or invest it for a
short time). I join with the "Lee was decoying the AOP  to hasten north" on
the premise that supposedly Lee felt the AOP wasn't moving fast enough north
for him (Stuart not communicating same to Lee). Lee was in the land of
plenty, but subsisting 75-80,000  men would only go so far in PA.
Logistically, that's a long stretch from PA, back through the Shenandoah to
VA. I realize that's oversimplifying the matter, but that's how I see it, I
truly think he would have been better taking another foray into Maryland -
but I don't wish to go into what if territory.

Regards,
Tom B.