GDG- Lee - Harrisburg

Andy Mills amills at jplcreative.com
Fri Jan 27 12:23:42 CST 2012

It makes perfect sense though if the real motivation was simply to keep his precious ANV together and not have part of it shipped off to Vicksburg.  Lee couldn't be straight with Davis about this and came up with the crop story as a sidebar to his real motivations.  When asked why troops shouldn't be sent to Vicksburg, Lee couldn't simply state "because I don't want to send them."  He had to present a valid case for keeping them assigned to his army.

Just don't ask me to prove this, but this is my belief of the true reason he invaded the North - to keep the ANV intact, the army he had "nurtured and created" (yes, I am aware technically the army existed prior to his command, but no one in the Confederacy remembers an army pre June 1862).

Thanks,