GDG- Lee - Harrisburg

Andy Mills amills at jplcreative.com
Fri Jan 27 11:46:36 CST 2012

I don't think Lee ever planned or envisioned reaching so far as Baltimore or Philadelphia.  I think he realized Harrisburg was about as far as he could go.  He wasn't going to get there with the AOP in his rear and even if he conducted a Cannae type battle, he is still forced to retreat back to Virginia for the inability to continue an advance (or even holding the ground gained).

I think we see this as part of the reason for Pickett's Charge.  He didn't have the capabilities to disengage and fight another battle as his army was almost out of war material to continue.  A battle that occurs even further north exacerbates this need and regardless of its outcome, Lee is still forced to fall back.

However:  a direct attack on Harrisburg also had to contend with Fort Couch (I think called Hummel's Heights at the time [correct me if wrong], which is a great little site with some earthworks still visible if you ever get a chance to visit).  I am not sure how well manned it would be, but a crossing can't occur until this fort is taken, at least in my estimation as it had a commanding view of any river crossing.

Thanks,