GDG- Neither this Capital nor Harpers Ferry could long hold out agains...

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Fri Jan 27 08:53:29 CST 2012

[The forts] "not fully manned."

Up until Grant pulled out the Heavies from the circle of forts  they were
fully manned.

As can be read in Benjamin Franklin Coolledge's "Sword and  Shield"  and
"Mr Lincoln's Forts" it was decided by the Union high command  that 30,000 men
were sufficient to man the forts and they maintained that number  through
until June/July 64.

Actually I am not sure what you mean by "not fully  manned".   There was no
reason to maintain a full active gun crew for  every cannon in the forts,
which if you consider that there were at least a  dozen cannon in every fort
if not several dozen in the case of Ft Sumner, Reno,  or Stevens.  There
were 68 forts roughly and times a dozen guns that's a  minimum of 800+ gun
crews.  Times 6-8 men per gun crew and that's a lot of  men.  Plus 100 empty
field arty positions.

But when you say "not fully manned" you don't need to  mantain a full
active gun crew for each cannon when there's  no enemy around to shoot.  What you
needed was to move the Heavies to any  points that were threatened,
leaving a lookout force at the remaining  forts.

What they did was keep a barracks near each of the forts and  the Heavies
either maintained or added to the forts or practiced their artillery  skills.
 The rest of the time they either skinny dipped in the Pot R or  enjoyed
horizontal refreshments in the 600+ bordellos of DC.   Cushy  duty.

As for Andy's statement that DC could be captutred by  siege.  I can't see
the Conf's getting enough men to surround the city, lay  siege AND fight off
outside attacks by  the AoP and other forces.   Consider Grant had over
100k men and really didn't break through into either  Richmond or Petersburg,
he had to go around the end of the Conf  line.   So I can't ever see a Conf
siege of  DC.

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
Peter

In a message dated 1/27/2012 8:29:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,