GDG- Neither this Capital nor Harpers Ferry could long hold out against a large force

Andy Mills amills at jplcreative.com
Fri Jan 27 07:28:04 CST 2012

Thanks Jack...

-----Original Message-----
From: gettysburg-bounces at arthes.com [mailto:gettysburg-bounces at arthes.com] On Behalf Of Jack Lawrence
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:28 PM
To: GDG
Subject: Re: GDG- Neither this Capital nor Harpers Ferry could long hold out against a large force

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
Andy,

Meade had construcyed a multiple fort defensive line of some 33 miles around DC.
It is my impression thoyugh that it wasa not fully manned, rom Coddington we know that defending Pennsylvania was the bigger concern than DC though, with Stanton establishing the first ever National Reserve with a commanmd center i Harrisburg, under Curtain (even though it was a flop).

A I read your blurb (did not go into the OR you cited), Halleck was just pushing Hooker, whom he did noot like, a little harder.

Obviously, the AoP was the DC first line of defense, which is that Halleck is saying.

But who knows.

To respond to some earlier speculation about a what happens if Lee defeats the aoP in detail, which means renders it militarily ineffective as a fighting force, obviously they exfiltrate to Dc and see if Bobby lee wants to test his luck.

Lee, if he is smart, goes home anyway. He might try Philidelphia or baltimore though, as the British learned, it was defensible to a fault.

The Harrisburg thing is, IMHO, militarily unsound.

More certainly though is Lee is not going to defeat Meade in detail, but rather drive him off the fish hook. In which case he goes back to Pipes Creek.

And Lee gets degeated in detail.