GDG- A little clarification please.

keith mackenzie bluzdad at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 05:34:38 CST 2012

Were they easily frightened?

"Hello! I'm The Doctor."
(Dr. Who)

________________________________
 From: "CWMHTours at aol.com" <CWMHTours at aol.com>
To: gettysburg at arthes.com
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: GDG- A little clarification please.

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
I think he had to go anywhere that would scare the bejeezus  out of
Lincoln, Halleck and Stanton

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
Peter

In a message dated 1/26/2012 10:03:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bluzdad at yahoo.com writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
It seems that everyone agrees that if Lee had gone  to Harrisburg, he would
not have tried to stay there any longer than  necessary. So then, the
contentious issue is wether he really planned on going  there at all?

(This is a "Just Occurred to Me"  question): If his goal was to draw the
AoP north, how far north was far  enough?
K.

________________________________

>> Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
>> I tend to favor the  notion that Harrisburg was a decoy to draw Union
forces out into the open. I  absolutely believe that Lee would have  sent
forces into the city,  primarily to destroy railroad  infrastructure, damage
manufacturing  operations, capture supplies, and  generally create further
panic in the  north, but holding the city was  never an option. I believe there
was a  relatively small window of  opportunity for the ANV to operate in
Pennsylvania.

>> On Jan 26, 2012, at 2:13 PM, keith  mackenzie wrote:
>>
>>> Esteemed GDG Member  Contributes:
>>> I've read a couple of posts where the esteemed  member insisted that
Lee did not intend to hold Harrisburg if he did in  fact assault and  take it.
>>> I don't know if it was more  than one poster or only one several times.
>>> My
>>>  question is, does anyone think he would have attempted to hold it? I
don't  think anyone has put forward that POV, but I might have missed   it.
>>> thanks

http://arthes.com/pipermail/gettysburg_arthes.com/ for  Archives