GDG- A little clarification please.

Tom Barrett tbarrett21 at cox.net
Thu Jan 26 21:52:50 CST 2012

>From a military standpoint, I think he wanted to draw the AoP far enough so
that they were separated from their supply and support bases and far enough
that they would be tired, scattered, and not able to concentrate
effectively.  Drawing them toward Harrisburg was a good plan, but spreading
them out would have been even better, so the AoP Corps couldn't quickly
support one another.

I think he figured that his forces would be more rested and better
concentrated than the AoP, and that he'd pick off and defeat the Union units
as they came north.

As it turned out, Gettysburg wasn't far enough, and the AoP was well
organized, well supplied, and was able to concentrate effectively.  For
whatever reason, Lee chose to attack anyway.

Regards,

TB