GDG- A little clarification please.

George Connell georgeconnell at mac.com
Thu Jan 26 20:26:43 CST 2012

I think Lee wanted Harrisburg for a number of reasons:

	* for the domestic and international impact that would be caused by the capture of the capital of one the largest states in the Union,

	• to capture whatever would be useful to his army,

	• to destroy its capability to support the Union war effort,

	• and lastly, to put pressure on the AoP to rush north faster than prudent.

I think he would have held it as long as possible to ensure maximum Northern distress, but abandon it quickly as soon as the AoP was drawing near, since he would need room to maneuver.

Regards,

George
26ª11'56"N   81ª48'19W"