GDG- "Lee's Illness Lost Gettysburg"

William Richardson general.jackson at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 19:16:13 CST 2012

From: "dherko at kc.rr.com" <dherko at kc.rr.com>
To: GDG <gettysburg at arthes.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: GDG- "Lee's Illness Lost Gettysburg"

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
War is a young man's game.  After 22 years, my body was worn out.  Achillies Tendon surgery, Arthritic left hip, planter faceitis (sic), hearing loss... 12 months of walking around with armor and helmet in Iraq did nothing to improve my overall quality of life.  Not to mention, the burning garbage and human waste, oil fires and fumes.

I can imagine what these men went through, that being said Lee's condition, is irrelevent to the outcome of the campaign.

VR
Don Herko

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don,

  I agree with you on that. Lee's medical condition  did not cause him to lose the Gettysburg Campaign. Lee lost because of....

1. His Tactics
2. The Union Army ( It's manpower, Its logistics, Its willpower )
3. His vague orders and his generals failure to carry them out in a timely and correct manner
4. General Meade's generalship

Respectfully,

     William Richardson
     Mount Gilead, North Carolina

Pro-Excuser: People who can’t understand how The Confederate States Of America, out-manned, and under supplied, could kick their butts for four long years. Who resort to all kinds of finger pointing and avenues of denial.