GDG- -Battlefield Tour Guides

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Thu Jan 26 17:59:13 CST 2012

After overnight contemplation Sherri I think you've gone off  half cocked
and loaded for bear.

Butr you've misread my posts, which is odd because I don't  usually have a
problem with clarity.

I have NEVER ever made a detrimental comment about the  tourists visiting
Gettysburg.  You have apparently conjured that up out of  whole clothe and
you are just plain wrong.

I did, and do believe that most of the LBGs I've had on my  buses were not
outstanding.  A couple were and there are guides I've  met up there that
just plain astound me.  I love Wayne Mott.   I  will keep repeating that for
you  because it just is.  That's my  opinion and I don't usually come by my
opinions lightly.  There is usually  reason for them.  Usually hard-earned
experience.  I've had several  dozen over the years.

My big stink was the one guide who wouldn't talk about  Gettysburg while we
were on the battlefield.

If you came to DC and were on a tour driving by the Capital or  the White
House wouldn't you WANT me to talk about those instead of somewhere  like say
Antietam?

I shared the story partly out of light humour for people in  the room as it
is one of my more unpleasant experiences in 20 years of  guiding.  Why he
wouldn't stop talking about Sickles and Key I don't know  but I repeatedly
asked/told him to talk about the battlefield.

And if you are new to guiding it may behoove you to listen to  the
experienced veteran guides.  You might learn stuff from us.  When  I get around
people who know more than me I usually try to ask lots of questions  and pump
their brains.  And not resent them for opinions I don't agree  with.

You will find, once you start guiding that the quality of your  tourists is
going to vary widely.

You may want to ask some of the senior guides up there and try  to learn.

With the kids the only difference between a "good" group and a  "bad" one
is the adults.  If there are adults with the group who really  care about the
kids then the kids pay attention and have good manners.  If  you don't have
any caring responsible adults with the group the kids will have  no
manners,  will talk loudly constantly, throw pitballs, etc. and  generally make
your life a nightmare.

I  love Catholic and religious schools.   The  kids are great.  Private
schools are wonderful too.  My favorite are  the Boy Scouts.  They are so cool.
 You'll have no trouble at all with  them.

But the other groups....   Jeez Sherri, good luck,  you'll find yourself
shouting into the mike because you can't hear yourself and  no one payin g
attention and you willl be hating life until you can get out of  there.

I send these groups up to Gettysburg after I tour with them in  DC and can
only feel sorry for the LBGs that get them.  Don't listen to  me-  go talk
to the senior LBGs- they'll tell you.

And the tourists in DC.  When I talk about the Civil War  and Lincoln I get
questions like "Which side won?  The East or the  West?"   You just drop
your jaw in amazement at how little  Americans know about their heritage.
They think the President lives in the  Capitol.

Did you ever see the bit on Jay Leno where he goes out and  asks people on
the street about current events and they just don't know what  he's talking
about?

There are a LOT of people who  can't put the American Revolution or the
Civil War in the right century, much  less the right decade.

Any real analysis of the American Education system will put us  way below
nearly every European country, Japan and even Communist  China.

If you want to get mad about it and resent me for sharing my  misadventures
with the tourists in here I don't know what to tell you.  I  would like to
think that you have more important things in your life to get all
kerfluffled about than my hogwash.

There is one person in here that I delete when I see his name  in here and
only see his posts when they are part of someone else's  thread.

You may want to keep yourself from getting so upset by just  deleting me
when you see my stuff come up.

But if I were you I'd try to learn from experienced guides and  try to get
upset about more important things.

Your Friend-

Peter

In a message dated 1/25/2012 2:06:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,