GDG- A little clarification please.

William Baetz wbaetz at mac.com
Thu Jan 26 14:51:05 CST 2012

I tend to favor the notion that Harrisburg was a decoy to draw Union
forces out into the open. I absolutely believe that Lee would have
sent forces into the city, primarily to destroy railroad
infrastructure, damage manufacturing operations, capture supplies, and
generally create further panic in the north, but holding the city was
never an option. I believe there was a relatively small window of
opportunity for the ANV to operate in Pennsylvania.