GDG- North with Lee and Jackson by James Kegel

Tom Ryan pennmardel at mchsi.com
Thu Jan 26 09:37:15 CST 2012

My recollection of this book, read several years ago, is that it laid out
pretty clearly the thinking of Davis, Lee and Jackson about the timing for
invading the North, and the effort that should be put forth in that
endeavor.

Jackson, I believe, was anxious for immediate invasion.  His plan was to
march an army of some 40,000 men into the North, and cause so much havoc and
damage that the government in Washington would be brought to its knees --
forcing it to agree to a peace settlement.

Davis I think was somewhat supportive of Jackson's approach, yet was not
quite ready to approve such a venture.

Lee, on the other hand, held out for more time to accomplish other military
objectives.  He was, however, in favor of an invasion, but he felt the
timing had to be just right.

The first attempt at full-scale invasion was intercepted by McClellan's
forces, and resulted in the confrontation at Sharpsburg, MD.  The second
invasion, of course, led to the Battle of Gettysburg.

Tom Ryan

>>>Here I would refer members of this list to that quirky but
>>>thought-provoking book, James A. Kegel's *North with Lee and Jackson*

  Mentioned that same book in a post this morning. Just was sitting on the
bookshelf - then when this thread in the group began - out it finally came -
it's a shame - it is "quirky" - but one of the few revisionist books that
makes a great case, and he backs it up with quite a bit of primary &
secondary sources.

Regards,
Tom B.