GDG- Gettysburg Digest, Vol 18, Issue 24

atmackeyjr at aol.com atmackeyjr at aol.com
Wed Jan 25 23:48:52 CST 2012

Dave,

I have your article and I enjoyed it immensely.  I think you make a great case.

Regarding your research into the capture of African Americans in the Gettysburg Campaign, I've been doing some thinking about this and wonder if you came to any conclusions as to whether or not it was official policy of the ANV and/or the confederacy to capture African Americans and bring them south into slavery.  If it was official policy, was it the policy to confine the captures to suspected fugitive slaves or were all African Americans fair game according to that policy (if it existed)?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,
Al Mackey

When I did my research on the capture of African Americans, one black family
laimed that one Confederate captain said, "After we have destroyed
ennsylvania..." they would come back and capture all of the African Americans.
hat isn't exactly a dispassionate source, but, if true, indicates that some in
he rank and file expected to go plundering PA.  The rank and file didn't always
ave an accurate view, though - even a lot of Lee's division commanders thought
he invasion would be limited to MD.