GDG- ISusquehanna River

atmackeyjr at atmackeyjr at
Wed Jan 25 23:24:36 CST 2012

Jackson's first wife was a Junkin and her family was from the New Kingstown area.  The Junkins were probably the most prominent family in that area.

At Virginia's secession her father, Dr. George Junkin, returned to Pennsylvania.  Reportedly, when he crossed the Mason-Dixon Line he stopped his carriage and wiped the southern mud off the wheels.

When Jackson was married to his daughter, Ellie, the two visited her family in the area.  There is a plaque in a building in Harrisburg marking one of Jackson's visits.  The former mayor has his office in that building.

Best Regards,
Al Mackey

-----Original Message-----
From: George Connell <georgeconnell at>
To: GDG <gettysburg at>
Sent: Wed, Jan 25, 2012 3:15 pm
Subject: Re: GDG- ISusquehanna River

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
mmm. I did not know this. Thanks Al.

n Jan 24, 2012, at 23:38, atmackeyjr at wrote:
> Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
 Some interesting points: Jackson had family who lived in the area and had
isited the Harrisburg area prior to the war.  He was familiar with the area and
ith the Susquehanna.  One can be forgiven for wondering what kinds of
iscussions the two had in the winter of '62-'63 and in the weeks prior to
hancellorsville regarding the possibility of capturing Pennsylvania's capital
 Best Regards,
 Al Mackey