GDG- ISusquehanna River

John Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Wed Jan 25 20:24:51 CST 2012

Not to waste words. One only has yo glance at a theater map to realize that Lee separating himself from the Valley by a single day placed the ANV in mortal peril.

You know, this whole two cop thing is based on some comments that are based on less than a frag order. Every military in the world has open plans on file based on what ifs.
Before WWII, Canada had a plan on file for, war with the United States.
But somehow, on the flimsiest shreds of speculation (no evidence)
So we now have Lee AND two corp on the other side of the river, cut off, and no plan other than "more than mischief".
My favorite is the one about that most Falstaffian of Confederate officers, was sent scurrying off by Lee to help with this fubar.

If you want to pluck floating fragments of historical flotsam and quilt them together, fine with me.

But when I put a theory together, I start with a map follow what was done on the map. Then it all makes sense.

In this case, Lee snuck around Hooker and proceeded north. I think, but cannot prove that he planned to fall back on the AoP and destroy in sequence.
Once he was not pursued, any plan he did have was moot.

So now he is trapped in the Cumberland with the AoP to his rear.
I think that is a reasonable statement for me to make.

So what is a general to do.

Well, since he was effectively surrounded (he could, of course) go in any direction but home, but even west lodged him in the mountains, subjected him to total isolation and an AoP envelopment outside the valley and north subjected him too bushwackers and further separation.
So, as we learn from sun tzu, he attacked' every where he could, with no DISCERNABLE  MILITARY objective than to confuse and alarm the enemy with the purpose of drawing the AoP north and freeing up his rear.
I emphasize, Lee gained nothing militarily from this operation other than freedom to his rear. Even so, his incursion was over. Any idea of gobbling up the AoP  as it floundered in the ANV's wake was finished. He now simply needed to gather his own army and make do with his situation.
I truly believe that Lee's best move at that point was to leave.
But if course the ear, as ward always are, was it's own master.

They armies bumped into collided, decisions were made at the mid command level (a subject for discussions elsewhere) and the battle occurred.

Everything that happened after Lee crossed the river was based on decisions made by others.
As in all operations like this go the plan lasted 10 minutes. Then the war had it's way.