GDG- ISusquehanna River

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 25 20:09:32 CST 2012

Good story George-  pet her for me....

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
Peter

In a message dated 1/25/2012 9:08:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
georgeconnell at mac.com writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
I have forded the Potomac twice at White's Ford,  once on the date Lee
crossed there in 1862. My dog was with me so I renamed  her Traveller. She was
confused by that, but was a good sport (as Goldens  always are).

Regards,

George
26ª11'56"N    81ª48'19W"

On Jan 25, 2012, at 7:52 PM, CWMHTours at aol.com  wrote:

> Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
> Tom-
>
> I don't have a problem with the idea of Lee crossing the Pot R   at
Whites
> Ford (Ford- not Ferry- n the Ferry was mile+ down the river  from the
Ford.
> Plus you had several other fords all the  way down to Rowsers S of
Seneca
> Creek.
>
> I can  see that.  Plus it would scare the beejeeezers out  of Lincoln &
> Stanton.
>
> A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
>  Peter
>

> In a message dated 1/25/2012 5:25:41  P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> pennmardel at mchsi.com  writes:
>
> Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
> Just  to add a couple of points to what has already  been said, further
> evidence that Lee planned to cross the Susquehanna was  Early  ordering
Gordon to
> capture the Wrightsville-Columbia Bridge, a few  miles  northeast of
York.
> However, PA militia burned the  bridge before Gordon  could capture it.
This
> is what Early  said about this incident in his  report (OR, 27, II, p.
367):

> "I regretted very much the failure to  secure this bridge, as,  finding
the
> defenseless condition of the country  generally, and  the little obstacle
> likely to be afforded by the militia to our   progress, I had determined,
if I
> could get possession of the Columbia  Bridge,  to cross my division over
the
> Susquehanna, and cut the  Pennsylvania Central  Railroad, march upon
Lancaster
> [about 15  miles east of the river], lay that  town under contribution,
and
>  then attack Harrisburg in the rear while it  should be attacked in the
front
> by the rest of the corps...."
>
> This   statement seems to give credence to the plan for Lee to send his
>  troops across  the Susquehanna, and, at the very least, attack and
capture
> Harrisburg.   It should also be noted that Gordon  later wrote that he
planned to
> send a  contingent toward  Philadelphia, however, there appears to be no
way
> to  determine  whether this was an exaggeration on his part.
>
> At any  rate,  Early continues in his report:
>
> "...relying, in  the worst contingency  that might happen, upon being
able
> to  mount my division from the immense  number of horses that had been
run
> across the river, and then move to the  west, destroying the  railroads
and
> canals, and returning back again to a place  of  safety."
>
> The way I read this last part of his statement is  that his  division,
and
> by extension the rest of the army, would  stay on the east side  of the
river
> accomplishing whatever goals  General Lee had in mind.   However, if the
ANV