GDG- Neither this Capital nor Harpers Ferry could long hold out against a...

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 25 18:39:23 CST 2012

Jack!

Dude!

;-{)  !!!!

Meade had nothing to do with the Circle of Forts around  DC.  Where do you
come by  that?

"Not fully manned"...  It was NOT intended to be fully  manned except in
the case of a military emergency.  Ie July  1864.

There was 30K troops, trained as Heavy Arty.  They knew  how to shoot a
100lb Parrott which is not something you undertake lightly.   These guys were
damn good professionals.

Not fully manned....What do you want them to do? Stand at full  alert upon
the ramparts when there was no Rebel withing 20 mi?

The Circle of Forts was in constant flux,  Gen John  Barnard, et all were
always trying to tweek the defenses just a little  better.  They did a damn
good job.

You don't need to man the ramparts when there is no one  around.  When they
were not skinny dipping in the Potomac or partaking of  the 600+ brothels
[I think that # is in Margaret Leech's book "Reveille in  Washington"
-Fabulous book.  You gotta buy it.  It is very  hooomoorous.]

"AoP was first line of defense for DC"   No no  no!

First line of defense was the forts.

The AoP could go away and with 30k men plus the Veteran  Reserve,  plus the
staff of the Navy Yard, plus the quartermaster corps in  west DC and
Georgetown, plus the quartermaster staff in Alexandria, plus the  quartermaster
staff at Giesboro Point manning the re-horse station that's a LOT  of dudes.

Benjamin Franklin Cooling wrote an excellent book on the  matter.  "Sword
and Shield"

In his book he compares the DC forts to the anvil and the AoP  as the
hammer.  Read the book.  Difficult toi refute.

And the west side of Balt was pretty open to invasion.   Defenses were
pathetic.

No no no, Jack!~

Don't make me tell you again!

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
Peter

In a message dated 1/25/2012 4:28:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,