GDG- Neither this Capital nor Harpers Ferry could long hold out against a...

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 25 18:19:23 CST 2012

Sir-

I am a big fan of Meade and I think your appraisal is  correct.

I think that if Lee was not trapped north of the Pot R it was  not Meade's
fault but rather Lincoln's for not stripping the garrisons of DC and  Balt-
that was some 35k men.  Put them north of the Pot R and Lee was  trapped
unless he went into the mountains.

But I think you over credit Darius Couch and the  militia.  Darius Couch
was a great commander but he had militia.  They  were very unreliable.  They
would only be useful for annoying Lee and  screening against forage
expeditions.  I wouldn't credit them too much if I  were you.  It must have been very
frustrating for Couch to go from  commanding a corps of combat veterans in
the AoP to green militia in  Penn.

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
Peter

In a message dated 1/25/2012 5:09:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,