GDG- ISusquehanna River

George Connell georgeconnell at mac.com
Wed Jan 25 16:58:11 CST 2012

I have no problem with this interpretation Jack, as long as you recognize it's just an opinion. Keep in mind though, Lee, at one point envisioned himself and at least two corps on the east side of the Susquehanna, with is a bit more than "mischief."

 I think we all need to remember that none of us know what Lee had in mind. We can only use the hints in the historical record to speculate. I, for one, think his ties to the Cumberland Valley were important, but not nearly as important as seizing an opportunity to destroy the AoP. Keep in mind that Meade had orders to stay between Lee and Washington/Baltimore. If Lee were to move east, Meade would have had to move even farther east to follow his orders. Before long, the Cumberland Valley becomes less and less relevant.

Hoping for a reply that contains more than ten words, I remain you Marine Corps friend,

George
26ª11'56"N   81ª48'19W"