GDG- ISusquehanna River

Tom bunco973 at optonline.net
Wed Jan 25 15:51:54 CST 2012

There is a book "North With Lee And Jackson" by James Kegel that extensively
goes through Lee & Jackson's strategies throughout the earlier campaigns -
and how some of it related to the decisions of the invasion of the north -
particularly Gettysburg (i.e. Lee & Jackson - then post-Jackson). The author
used a lot of primary & secondary sources, and makes a good argument that
Gettysburg - particularly Harrisburg was in the planning quite awhile before
1863. One of his footnotes from the Southern Historical Society Papers -
Vol. 26,pp. 116-128, that on the afternoon of June 27, 1863 - Lee had said
to Trimble " General Ewell's Forces are by this time in Harrisburg; if not,
go and join him and help (him) to take the place."  Not exactly a smoking
gun, and I don't have the SHSP, thus who recorded this exchange, but it is
interesting.

Regards,
Tom B.