GDG- Susquehanna River

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Tue Jan 24 21:26:39 CST 2012

Actually there's some good cheap restaurants in  Breezewood.

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
Peter

In a message dated 1/24/2012 10:17:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
georgeconnell at me.com writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
Jack,

First of all, your Faulkner comment is  patronizing.

Second, you offer assertions as truths, without a shred of  evidence in
support.

Third, you dismiss with exactly one short,  unsubstantiated sentence a long
discussion that includes nearly a dozen  documented references.

On the other hand, we know that Lee had given  "be prepared" instructions
to cross the Susquehanna to two of his three corps.  We don't know what he
was planning for Longstreet's Corps, but a minimum of  two-thirds of his army
over the river is more than a raid.

I speculate  here, but if Lee had been able to defeat the AoP corps in
detail as they came  up in ones or two and to achieve that victory he always
sought, why wouldn't  he want to be east of the Susquehanna? That's where he
would need to be to  exploit the victory by threatening Philadelphia and
Baltimore.  What's  west of it? Breezewood?

Regards,

George

On Jan 24, 2012,  at 9:27 PM, Jack Lawrence <jlawrence at kc.rr.com> wrote:

>  Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
> To: "'GDG'"  <gettysburg at arthes.com
>
> Hello.
>
> You are  correct, we have discussed this before. But no issues are
settled on the  GDG.

> There is a certain innate Faulkner in many Lee admirers  that grandiosize
Lee to an unsubstainable level.

> Thus, the  Lee as doomslayer. (I feel the same way about Lincoln the
Great Emancipator,  even though that is an unrealistic perception and I know it.)

>  There was never any intent, nor was there ever any means, to occupy
Harrisburg. But, as you point out, it was a good idea (and it worked).