GDG- Susquehanna River

George Connell georgeconnell at me.com
Tue Jan 24 21:16:28 CST 2012

Jack,

First of all, your Faulkner comment is patronizing.

Second, you offer assertions as truths, without a shred of evidence in support.

Third, you dismiss with exactly one short, unsubstantiated sentence a long discussion that includes nearly a dozen documented references.

On the other hand, we know that Lee had given "be prepared" instructions to cross the Susquehanna to two of his three corps. We don't know what he was planning for Longstreet's Corps, but a minimum of two-thirds of his army over the river is more than a raid.

I speculate here, but if Lee had been able to defeat the AoP corps in detail as they came up in ones or two and to achieve that victory he always sought, why wouldn't he want to be east of the Susquehanna? That's where he would need to be to exploit the victory by threatening Philadelphia and Baltimore.  What's west of it? Breezewood?

Regards,

George