GDG- Inevitable defeat

Jack Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 24 20:00:22 CST 2012

If Meade had maintained Hooker's position, hje was prepared to move and
intercept Lee from Marylan if Lee came out of the Cumberland valley.

Given that Halleck and kincoln were well aware of Lee's movement north had
really considered any border incursion as a serious threat, I think it is
unlikely that they really cared what Lee did as long as DC was safe. they
were concentrated on Vicksburg at the time. I get the impression that
lincoln, at least, was pretty sanguibe about the whole thing, other than an
oppurtunity to defeat Lee.

There was never a real threat.