GDG- Battlefield Tour Guides

recker at earthlink.net recker at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 24 14:48:54 CST 2012

At Antietam it is just like Gettysburg in that you have to pass a written test and then give a sample tour to a team of proctors, one from the NPS, one from the guides. Between the test and the tour you are set up with a mentor who helps you through a few other requirements. This part of it is somewhat different than Gettysburg. The guide service is part of Western Maryland Interpretive Association, the park's non-profit. They have an arrangement with the NPS, though because Antietam is not a National Military park like Gettysburg, their arrangement is probably slightly different. There is no internship, but you must sign up to be a volunteer to become a guide.

Stephen Recker