GDG- Inevitable defeat

Jack Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 24 12:06:23 CST 2012

Since we are using historical metaphors for Lee, here is one for the ages.

The armies separated; and, it is said, Pyrrhus replied to one that gave him
joy of his victory that one more such victory would utterly undo him. For he
had lost a great part of the forces he brought with him, and almost all his
particular friends and principal commanders; there were no others there to
make recruits, and he found the confederates in Italy backward. On the other
hand, as from a fountain continually flowing out of the city, the Roman camp
was quickly and plentifully filled up with fresh men, not at all abating in
courage for the loss they sustained, but even from their very anger gaining
new force and resolution to go on with the war.
-Plutarch
Which pretty much describes every one of lee's "victories"?

Lee would probaly better be forgotten than have his name epitomized as king
Pyrrhus-asin Pyyrhic victory.