GDG- Inevitable defeat

Jack Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 24 12:01:17 CST 2012

As an addendum and not a counterpoint, Both the ANV and the AoP divided
their forces prior to the battle.
The ANV dived its forces to draw the AoP out of its rear, it was already
trapped, so what the hey.
The AoP divided it's forces to intercept a confederat lunge out of the
Cumberland that was never going to happen.
Then the two armies blundered together and threw everything they had in
piecemeal.

The south approached the war itself with a certain sense of invetiability.

I have no division.
Let us cross across the river...
Tell Hill he must come up.
That man will fight us every day and every hour till the end of the war.