GDG- Inevitable defeat

joadx1 at netscape.net joadx1 at netscape.net
Tue Jan 24 11:19:26 CST 2012

 It would appear, then, that Lee was quite willing to ignore the Napoleonic maxims.  At Chancellorsville, for example, he divided his army.  Jackson's flanking maneuver was not overwhelming force; it was successful surprise that succeeded because Lee anticipated Hooker's reaction.  Second Manassas was a successful ambush of an army that didn't know where Longstreet was.  Pickett's Charge was hardly overwhelming force.

In short, Lee made do with the human resources he had, which were never overwhelming in numbers.  He relied on speed and surprise, and on the morale of his forces.  He also relied on his knowledge of the AoP commanders.  A lot of psychology was involved, but rarely, if ever,  overwhelming force.