GDG- Inevitable defeat

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Tue Jan 24 11:07:43 CST 2012

Tim.

Sir,

When you consider Lee as a general it is helpful, if not  required, to
remember the 2 Napoleonic Maxims of Warfare, which  are:

1.  Always strike with overwhelming  force.....

If you remember those 2 maxims you can start to  get a  handle on  R.E. Lee.

He was a master of those.

ie. Witness Chancellorville or 2 nd Man.  The man was  briilliant.  If you
were in his shoes it would be hard to deviate from his  actions, unless you
are a dumb guy,  which fortunately we are  not.

Pemberton and J Johnston had some 50k men between  them. With a 1000 miles
between them and Lee he did the right  thing.

The fortress of Washington was  his focus.  He  needed as mny people as
possible.  Because it was a fortress he knew that  he could never successfully
attack it.  He had to get the Northern forces  away from DC in order to
bring overwhelming force on the  AoP.

If you go into Penn you keep the Yanks off balance.  And  if you can, you
attack with overwhelming force.

It's actually very simple to understand Lee in that  light.

Do you like my new sign-off?  I don't know what a  neo-anti unionst is but
I like how it sounds.

A  Loyal Neo-Anti Unionist,
Peter

In a message dated 1/23/2012 11:36:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,