GDG- Lost Cause and Inevitibility

Andy Mills amills at jplcreative.com
Tue Jan 24 09:10:33 CST 2012

All of which are a nice side trip to anyone visiting Gettysburg.

There is a beautiful little park with a nice pyramid at his birth place in Cove Gap, and I believe his birth house (the log cabin) now stands on the grounds of the Mercersburg Academy.  There is also a few members of the 54th Mass buried in a local cemetery.  There are, I believe, also a few Confederates buried in local graveyards in the area and Stuarts (Steiger House) headquarters can still be seen on main street in Mercersburg.

It is a nice little Civil war side trip.  From Gettysburg, you can get on Rt. 16 (just through Fairfield) and head through Montery Pass and right into Mercersburg (Cove Gap is about 2 miles outside Mercersburg).  An interesting note is you can also see Raven Rock / Site-R on this trip but due to government restrictions, not allowed to disclose its exact location (I know this is off-topic, but it is an interesting thing to see if you are already driving on that road).

Thanks,