GDG- Battlefield Tour Guides

Jack Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 24 08:36:11 CST 2012

No. The guides at Gettysburg are unique, they trace their history back to
the day after the battle.
The NPS inherited them when they took over the park and there has been a
partnership of sorts ever since.
Can you imagine the any bureaucracy recruiting an outside guide service,
officially sanctioned, to run free across the property.

The other parks do provide tours though, which can be spotty, but generally
good.
They do have these NPS tours at Gettysburg.

In a perfect world, every battlefield guide everywhere would be a retired
infantry officer with a degree in history.

But, having sat in on a couple of the prep classes for Battlefield Guides at
the HACC, (they don't hold them anymore) I stumbled into, the LBG guys do
yeomen's work in assuring that their guides are a quality product in terms
of the minituae of the field.

Wish they had that kind of program at Normandy.

9