GDG- Inevitable defeat

Margaret D. Blough mdblough1 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 24 01:22:18 CST 2012

Tom-The militia destroyed it in order to keep the Confederates using it to cross over the the eastern shore of the Susquehanna. Harrisburg is on the east and this would have enabled the Confederates to attack the city from both sides. While Lee initially ordered the bridge's destruction, the ANV generals on the scene saw the advantages to saving it and tried to save it. The Susquehanna is not one of the wildest rivers in the world but bridges were needed to cross it and with that bridge out there wasn't another until Harrisburg. The hope was to destroy sections so it could be rebuilt later but, in the days before dynamite, that sort of precision wasn't easily obtained. The Columbia-Wrightsville bridge was a wood & stone covered bridge believed to be the longest such bridge in the world at the time and the flames that destroyed the wood, leaving only the granite supports.

Regards,

Margaret