GDG- Inevitable defeat

Tom bunco973 at optonline.net
Mon Jan 23 22:58:41 CST 2012

  Thank you, Joad - great points to consider - the meeting of Davis & Lee
prior to the move north is (to myself), an obsessive mystery. Especially in
the case of Davis himself - I'm surprised his Mississippi-centricity did not
manifest itself in his decision, but I guess Lee was a better debater than I
give him credit for. As per your post - I guess it was a chessboard strategy
on Lee & Davis' part - either some of Lee's troops are sent west to
reinforce Vicksburg, or, Grant will have to send troops east if Lee moves
north. To only have been a fly on the wall for that crucial meeting
resulting in the Gettysburg campaign.

Regards, Tom B.