GDG- Inevitable defeat

joadx1 at netscape.net joadx1 at netscape.net
Mon Jan 23 22:35:29 CST 2012

 I believe that the greatest Civil War scholars themselves cannot answer with any certainty what Lee was thinking when he persuaded Davis that a move north would be preferable than an attempt to relieve Vicksburg.  (It's worth remembering in this regard that Lee could have reasonably expected Johnston to do something and cannot be blamed that Johnston sat on his hands.)

And I'm not a scholar of the war at all, just an interested person.

But my sense of the matter, gleaned mostly from reading Catton and McPherson, and from what I know of Lee himself (I have read Freeman's biography), is that Lee genuinely believed that a move north would be more effective, strategically, than a move west.  I think that he was wrong in this, and that his thinking was restricted by his own very Virginia-centric point of view, but I think he was sincere in it.  My sense is that he thought if he could induce panic in the north (he did, after all, come very close to taking Harrisburg), that Grant would have to send troops east, and that at any rate that no besieging army could withstand a Mississippi summer in a malaria ridden swamp.  Who knows what would have happened if things had not gone wrong with Stuart, who was himself a victim of contingent circumstance?  What happened with Stuart was not unlike what happened with Lee's orders during the campaign that ended at Antietam: a contingency that wasn't, and really couldn't, have been planned for.  Had Stuart returned to the ANV in a timely fashion (not having been blocked by the AoP), who knows what would have happened?  If McClellon hadn't received Lee's plans, who knows what would have happened in 1862?

In short, as McPherson argues in a number of places, contingency had so much to do with the outcome of the war.  This is the real reason why I say that nothing was inevitable.