GDG- Inevitable defeat

Tom bunco973 at optonline.net
Mon Jan 23 22:10:36 CST 2012

   Disclaimer : I respect Lee, and a big fan of Longstreet - but - I
honestly feel Lee's finest hours was the Jackson episodes, thus deferring to
most of Dave's post. IMHO - Lee was an accomplished strategist - Jackson was
the tactician, deferring to your post of the Lee-Jackson combo. Sometimes I
wonder (at the risk of getting slammed in this group), whether Lee headed
North, besides the tried and true reasons, to stave off the chance of losing
some of his command to the West (Vicksburg especially). Commanders don't
like to lose troops to another command, maybe an ego thing ;-D. Not saying
Lee's best interests for the Confederacy were not in his heart, but the
acceleration of his movements after meeting with Davis was  (to me) a bit
suspect. If my musings are wrong, so be it, as I'm sure this esteemed group
will put me in the right direction - just a thought, though! (Have to go
back to lurker mode - starting to put my fat in the fire !!)

Regards,
Tom B.