GDG- GDG - A Movable Feast

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 14:25:53 CST 2012

Dennis-

"We would have been an anacronism"....

You mean we are not?

Well... I always learn something new in here.  I did not  know that.

Also...  "movable feast"....

I've never understood that phrase, but then again I could be  an anacronism
myself, but I can't figure out why if you have a feast all set up  and
ready to eat why would you want to move it around?  Why don't you just  leave it
in one place and sit down and eat?

"Just  the facts, ma'am."

Your Most Obediant Servant
Peter

In a message dated 1/23/2012 12:40:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
denlaw at gojade.org writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:

>  but hasn't Dennis said causes are on  topic?

>Hello,

The main focus of this group is  to discuss Gettysburg.  In
achieving that focus, we face  the  same problem the Gettysburg
national military Park faced in presenting its  museum and film.  How
much context is needed?

In a  Museum, those decisions are pretty much permanently fixed  in
the  exhibits or the film;  in the discussion group, it can be a
little  more flexible.    I do not think we could've survived as an
Internet group for over 18 years unless we expanded beyond Gettysburg
to include the causes of the war and other topics to put those
momentous events in perspective.  We would've been an anachronism in
the world of modern history where events are discussed in their
totality of context rather than in isolation.

We just had an  extended discussion of Custer, which is  on topic
because he was at  Gettysburg.  So is a discussion of the
assassination of Abraham  Lincoln. At some point,  it was time to move
back to  Gettysburg.

So,  What  is on topic and off-topic  is a movable
feast.     However, we always have to return  to our roots, which is
Gettysburg.

Take  Care

Dennis

When  I want to understand what is happening today or try to decide what
will  happen tomorrow, I look back. -Oliver Wendell Holmes,  Jr.